Corded Vs Cordless Reciprocating Saw: Which is the Best?
The debate of which one is the best between corded and cordless tools continues to heat up every day. With the growth of technology, it is increasingly hard to pick one tool without considering the other. Reciprocating saws, for instance, are the latest to spark debates among tool lovers. Many people have asked me to give my views on corded Vs cordless reciprocating saws: which is the best? That is what you are about to find out in this article.
What is a Reciprocating Saw?
A reciprocating saw is an advanced powered by electricity tool that performs similar functions with a man-operated saw only that the former is more efficient and works faster. Reciprocating saws can maneuver through different materials such as wood, plastic, and metal easily and conveniently as compared to the man-operated ones.
Reciprocating saw whether corded or cordless uses the logic of chopping movement. It pulls back and forth the same way a man-operated saw operates.
Cordless or Corded Reciprocating Saws?
Now that we all agree that reciprocating saws are better that the hand-operated ones, the next headache is to determine whether to go for corded or cordless. Personally, I recommend that you choose one depending on your needs. Just because a particular machine worked out for someone else does not necessarily mean that it will work for you as well. If anything, both the corded and cordless reciprocating saw have their advantages and disadvantages.
Corded Reciprocating Saws
A corded reciprocating saw means that you have to use a cable to connect to a power source so that you can operate. These types of saws have several advantages including:
1. A corded reciprocating saw provides you with unstoppable power. Since it derives its power directly from the source, the saw will have enough power to cut through complicated materials such as metal.
2. It is convenient – when using a reciprocating saw you are sure to complete your project because there is no risk of running short of power.
3. It is versatile – a corded reciprocating saw is very versatile as you can use it for several functions such as construction, demolition, remodeling and sometimes plumbing.
4. Maneuvers through the tough place- if you are going to work in regions where it might be difficult for other types of saws to operate, carry with you a corded reciprocating saw and you will be sorted.
5. Corded reciprocating saws are also very light therefore allows for ease of operation.
Even though corded reciprocating saws have several benefits, they also have one or two disadvantages. These include:
1. You run risks of getting electrical shocks because of the cords that run all over your workplace.
2. Corded reciprocating saws have limited movements because of the cords. This might inconvenience you in some instances.
3. Your site of operation must have sources of electrical power for these saws to work.
Corded Reciprocating Saws Buying Guide
To ensure that you get the best out of corded reciprocating saws, you must be able to pick the right one. Here are some factors to consider while at it:
One of the strongholds of a corded reciprocating saw over the cordless one is its ability to deliver more power. In that case, you have to get value for your money if you choose to go the corded way. For normal regular tasks, a saw with operating power rating between 5 and 15 amps is sufficient to do the jobs for you.
It is important to note that the type of corded reciprocating saw that you choose depends on the magnitude of the task that you want to be handled. For heavy-duty demolition or construction, pick a saw with an amp rating of over 9. For medium tasks, a saw with a 6-amp rating will serve you right.
Choose a corded reciprocating saw that has a good design and make. Pick one that causes minimal vibrations to avoid risks of damaging your wrist amongst other possible injuries. Look for one that is well padded and has comfortable grips.
Check the Speed
Different corded reciprocating saws have different speed options. Speed options are important because they help you to determine the number of strokes you want your machine to make per minute. Speed plays a huge role in determining the convenience of your saw.
Other factors to consider include weight and brand of the product.
Cordless Reciprocating Saws
Cordless reciprocating saws, on the other hand, dwell on providing you with convenience more than power. Some of the major advantages of opting for a cordless saw include:
1. Cordless reciprocating saws are more convenient as compared to the corded ones. You can carry a cordless saw to wherever you want without restrictions from cords. You also do not have to worry about whether your site of operation has electricity or not.
2. It is safer to use a cordless reciprocating saw because it does not have cords running all over the place raising the risks of electric shocks.
Even with those major advantages, the cordless reciprocating saws still have some disadvantages. They include:
1. You run the risk of running low on power because the saw’s battery requires a regular recharge. This can be time wasteful.
2. Cordless reciprocating saws are bulkier making them not easily portable. You also tend to get tired quickly while using these saws.
3. It provides low power levels to get you through your projects as compared to the corded ones.
The steps of picking a cordless reciprocating saw are similar to the ones of corded saws. However, you should also consider the battery power in the cordless ones.
With both the corded and cordless having their advantages and disadvantages, I can conclude that the corded ones have an upper hand over the cordless ones. Unless you are going to work at a site that lacks electricity or you are going to operates where it will be difficult to maneuver with cords restraining your movements, the corded reciprocating saws should be your first option. They have more power, are lighter and are sure to get you through the job.
I hope that this article has answered all your questions pertaining the corded versus cordless reciprocating saws. If so, kindly leave like, share and leave a comment below.