Informative lists of best portable propane barbecue grills for outdoor and indoor events. Read safety measures, buying guides, how to before shopping.
Book Part or All of Your Next Adventure
Helping people all over the world learn about travel. Book Your Vacation!
It does not matter what kind of outdoor activities you plan to do, it is only certain that you are going to get hungry. And there isn’t really any better way to prepare big meals outdoor than barbecuing them. The preparation itself is enjoyable enough, and everything can only get more exciting from that point on.
BUYING GUIDES FOR PORTABLE PROPANE BARBECUE GRILLS
In case you are still wondering which portable propane grill to buy, here are some things to look for:
- Size: portability is of course the main consideration. Just because a grill is categorized for “outdoor” use, it does not necessarily mean the equipment is portable. Sometimes the term is merely a suggestion to use the equipment in outdoor area. If you plan to take the equipment on your adventure, think about the weight of the grill and the amount of space available in your vehicle.
- Heat capacity: more BTU means more heat on the grilling surface. The hotter the grill gets, the quicker it cooks your foods. When it comes to portable grill, however, anything more than 20,000 BTU is just overkill, because you are less likely to cook a massive amount of foods at a time. Look for a grill with around 8,000 BTU instead.
- Build quality and materials: cast iron is an excellent material for a grill. It distributes heat evenly and does not affect quality of the cooking. However the material is quite heavy, making it a bit of a struggle to carry around. Cast aluminum is an excellent alternative; it is not as sturdy but the material is lighter.
- Ease of cleaning: you don’t want a messy grill in your car trunk. A grill with more parts and elaborate design usually is also more difficult to clean. Look for simple dome-shaped design that comes attached with drip pan/cup instead.
Just like with every other product, the old adage “you get what you pay for” also applies to portable grill. The good thing is that you don’t need the most expensive one to get quality cooking with less hassle. Some of the best portable propane grills you can get today are as follows.
Cooking Surface Area
Up to 11,000
225 sq. in.
247 sq. in.
Wattage: 1600, No btu
240 sq. in.
285 sq. in.
238 sq. in.
189 sq. in.
Top 6 Best Portable Propane Barbecue Grill Reviews
Below is a list of my top Six best portable propane grill that you should check out with the dealers to experience the benefits of a great portable propane barbecue grill. They pass the test, and other reviewers too have rate highly positive, hence they are the best of best.
Starting the list is the ROADTRIP 225 portable propane grill. It has Two Temperature Zones, For more meal options, cast iron grill grates are effortlessly interchangeable with griddles or stove grates (sold separately).
As the name suggests, it has 225 square inch cooking area and uses cast iron grill grates for better heat distribution. The grill requires 1-pound propane cylinder that you can buy from just about every convenience store.
Be aware it could be extremely dangerous to use this product indoors due to carbon monoxide poisoning though this is true for any gas or propane powered utilities!
- Instastart ignition – no matches required
- Can be stored upright (to fit in tight spaces) until your next cookout.
- Grilling power of up to 11,000 BTU
- Removable drip pan
- Double burners adjust independently
- Durable side table for resting utensils and sauces
- There is no lid latch
- The propane gives off carbon monoxide when burned just like your car does while running, ALWAYS use in open place. I do not recommend indoor.
Under the hood you will find 247 square inches of cooking surface. That's about 10 burgers or 20 hot dogs! Shaped like a briefcase when folded, the Dash screams portability. The grill comes with more than 240 square inch of “reversible” cooking surface. It is great for barbecue and preparing breakfast.
EASY SET UP - Setting up the Dash takes seconds with 1 telescoping 2-pronged leg and 2 front legs. Great stability on almost any terrain.
GREASE MANAGEMENT - Practical design facilitates flipping of the cooking surface and includes a grease management system for easy cleaning and less food fat
And clean up couldn't be faster. Wipe down with a paper towel, stow-n-go the legs and you're on your way in a couple minutes. PORTABLE - Whether you are camping, tailgating, hunting, or just out with the family, the quick folding legs and 2-way packing system enables ergonomic side carrying or pulling on wheels
- Enclosed design for better fuel efficiency
- Grill on one side and griddle plate on the other
- Built-in wheels
- Freestanding or tabletop
- Super fast to clean
- Material is Cast Iron
- Cooking surface area is big enough for the price
- Heat capacity is only up to 7,000 BTU
Why to buy George Foreman Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill?
With nonstick cooking surface and convenient legs assembly design, the portable grill is adaptable for tailgating, patio, or picnic table. It even has built-in wheels for easier transport.
We love this super portable Grill, because of below reasons...
1. George Tough Nonstick Coating - This has nonstick coating; it’s durable, easy to clean, and removes the need for butter and oil.
2. Indoor/Outdoor Removable Stand - Don’t let the weather keep you from the glory of grilling; the easy-to-remove stand takes you from patio to countertop in no time.
3. Adjustable Temperature Control - The temperature probe lets you choose from five heat settings to get the best results on any kind of food.
4. Apartment-Approved - The fully electric system gives you high-quality grilling with no charcoal, no propane, and no flare-ups.
5. 15+ Servings - This 240 square inches of circular grilling surface lets you make over 15 servings for large groups of people.
- Variable temperature control
- Non-stick surface: Yes
- Indoor-Outdoor: Yes
- Awesome removable Drip Tray with Doom Lid
- Removable grill stand
- Patented fat-removing slope
- Assembly required but this is super quick.
not only does the grill comes with a wide 285 square inch cooking surface area, but also an easy-folding scissor cart to ease your way to outdoor grilling experience. The distinctive Napoleon’s WAVE cooking grid makes great sear marks too.
Dimension is 21 x 45 x 40 inch is a beautifully crafted portable. I researched small, RV-friendly propane grills on, and this unit was highly recommended.
The lid locks with a catch built into the handle. The bottom half of the unit is funnel-shaped, with a removable grease drip pan that is easily cleaned. This shape makes cleaning the interior straightforward. There aren't any cheap sheet-metal parts to rust away like some other grills I've owned. The two burners are tubular types with many holes to distribute the heat evenly.
- Cast iron cooking grids
- Foldable cart
- Dual stainless steel burners
- Temperature gauge
- Propane Power source - portable
- The ignition system works like a charm.
- Stamped steel body can get hot quickly on the outer surface.
- Material type Aluminum (but high quality), cooking surface is cast iron!
- The grill grates are cast iron with a wavy pattern that is a trifle difficult to clean.
This Grill is very portable and easy to store. It features 2 independently adjustable burners and flat griddle, the portable propane-powered Pd1201 is small, convenient, and versatile for outdoor cooking.
Adjustable Heat Cooking Surface
Two independently controlled Ring-Shaped adjustable burners,with 8500 BTU each, totally up to 17000 BTU power, makes for a versatile cooking surface where you are able to cook several foods at once, with non-stick! Also allow the option to keep certain foods warm while others cook.
- Push ignition system
- Grease Drip cup included
- Side grease cup to collect oil while cooking, also for convenient cleaning
- Steel top, easy to clean by paper towel and warm soap water
- Flat Griddle, easy to clean.
- Only comes with flat griddle
Uses disposable 14.1 or 16.4 oz. LP cylinder (sold separately). Grill must be preheated with burner on high for 10 to 15 minutes. Although it is pretty small with just 189 square inch of heating surface, the portable grill has almost everything you will ever need for an enjoyable outdoor cooking experience.
Fully assembled out of box. Dimensions - lid closed (inches): 14.5H x 27W x 16.5D inches, it has porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates and cast aluminum lid and body. Small enough to go wherever you go with enough grilling space to concoct a quick meal when back on land.
- Single stainless steel burner
- Cast iron grates (porcelain-enameled)
- Cast aluminum body
- Highly durable
- Push-button ignition and infinite control burner valve settings
- Propane connector is too close to the grill
Propane grill Safety Precautions
Propane grills, either big or small, are not for kids. Keep it away from children whether the grill is on or off. In addition to that, here are some equally important safety precautions to remember:
- Never turn on the gas when the lid is on: if your grill comes with locking lid, the heat and pressure built-up inside the lid have no easy way to escape. They continue to accumulate and will potentially burst within minutes. The explosion can damage the equipment and cause injuries to everybody within close distance from the grill.
- Do not overload the cooking area: if you are using a grill, chances are you put meat on it. All foods with high fat contents may cause sudden burst of flame. Fat can act like fuel. If you are using the grill outdoor surrounded with dry leaves or twigs, be very careful with what and how much you grill at a time.
- Never leave it on unattended: the fire can double-up the size and intensity within minutes after you turn the grill on. Always keep an eye on the grill when cooking to adjust the heat accordingly. To minimize the risk, prepare all the foods before you start grilling anything.
my Final Verdict
Outdoor grilling brings a lot of fun, whether you are doing it alone or with friends and families. Good quality well-designed portable grill makes the cooking process more enjoyable and frustration free. But quality comes at a price, and it rings true in portable grill market. The PRO285X-BK Travel by Napoleon is an all-around excellent choice, if you are willing to spend more than several hundred for it. The equipment is neither too small nor too large for a portable grill and almost every part is made from heavy-duty materials. Weber Q1000 is on the smaller side, yet it is perfect for a small family of three or four and more reasonably priced too.