Updated Top lists of 6 Best Selling Socket Sets
When you think of starting any project, tool sets are the most and socket set are really inevitable tools you will come across for any small or large projects. Whenever you have to tighten a bolt, drill nail, drill hole on dry wall, pliers needed to tweak electric wire or any small domestic everyday project needed by any home owner, it’s so much easier to use a socket wrench, drive socket or ratchet than a traditional one, particularly if you have to do it in tight spaces.
Below listed socket sets are ideal for anyone who works on cars as they have to reach into small difficult spots on a regular basis. But, if you are serious about any kind of craft or construction work, you need a high-quality socket set by your side.
Let’s find out which set is the best and why. Our testers have compiled a list of the top six from Amazon, and we’re going to discuss the various features and components that you should be looking for when picking one out.
Overall, your tool set should help you out with almost any job, so we have selected socket sets wisely which are cheaper, sturdy but very useful.
Top 6 socket sets - Comparison table
|69 Pieces - EPAuto 1/4" & 3/8" Drive Socket Set with Pear Head Ratchet, Chrome (92-824)||534 Reviews||$44.97||More Details|
|DEWALT Mechanics Tools Kit and Socket Set, 204-Piece (DWMT72165)||335 Reviews||from $101.99||More Details|
|Stanley 92-824 Black Chrome and Laser Etched 69-Piece Socket Set||989 Reviews||from $58.79||More Details|
|Crescent 170 Pc. General Purpose Tool Set - Closed Case - CTK170CMP2||1,369 Reviews||from $28.67||More Details|
|40 Pieces - EPAuto 1/4-Inch & 3/8-Inch Drive Socket Set with 72 Teeth Reversible Ratchet||590 Reviews||$19.97||More Details|
|Hi-Spec 12pc 1/4" Metric Socket Set with 72 Teeth Ratchet Drive Socket Handle with Quick Release...||26 Reviews||from $22.99||More Details|
Tips & Tricks to Choose best impact socket driver set
Ratchet Tooth Number
In case you’re not familiar with how a socket wrench works, it uses an interchangeable socket to wrap around the head of the bolt so that you can tighten it with much greater ease than you would with a different kind of wrench. The handle is called a ratchet because it has a certain number of teeth that allow you to tighten or loosen the bolt with just a few clicks.
So, when talking about the number of teeth in the ratchet, more is better. This is because it will allow you to work in tighter spaces since you don’t have to pull the handle back too far to get it to click into place. For example, some ratchets may come with 60 teeth, while others may have 72. If you want more versatility, pick the higher number.
Quick Release Mechanism
Most modern socket wrenches have this capability now which makes it more durable and reliable while working. The mechanism locks the socket into place so that you don’t accidentally pull the ratchet off while tightening. Then, to release it, you simply have to press a button so that it will just pop off, making changes much easier and faster.
While a quick-release button is not crucial to the operation of a socket wrench, it does provide some extra efficiency, so it’s always better to have it than not.
Six vs. Twelve Points
For the most part, sockets have six sides for gripping bolts, which is ideal for most situations. The reason for this is that the fewer sides that they have, the more firm the grip is, ensuring that you don’t accidentally round out the edges.
However, in some cases, the sockets may come with twelve points. These are ideal because they allow you to grip the bolt from almost any direction, but they don’t provide quite as much grip. Overall, if you are more concerned about versatility than tightness, you may want twelve-point sockets.
Deep vs. Shallow
One issue that comes with socket wrenches is that you can only reach down as far as the socket goes. In some cases, however, that can be extremely limiting, particularly when trying to tighten a bolt that is sitting low on a screw. For that reason, you want to get a socket set that comes with a combination of shallow and deep sockets so that you don’t run into that problem. Even if you’re not sure if you’ll encounter such a situation, it’s always better to err on the side of caution.
Usually, when using sockets, you will be tightening them by hand. However, there may be occasions in which you want to use a power tool such as an impact wrench so that you can work faster and make a tighter seal. However, not all sockets are built with that in mind, so you have to be careful. In some cases, the brand will list if they are strong enough for impact wrenches, but you may have to base your decision on other people’s reviews to get a better idea.
Overall, if you are planning on using power tools with your sockets, you want to buy a set that is designed for it, rather than trying to repurpose a standard hand-tightening set.
Since we are talking about tool sets, there is always the potential of getting one that comes with extra features that go above and beyond what you need. If you are strictly looking for sockets, then you probably won’t be swayed by any of these accessories, but if you want a more comprehensive set of tools, then you ought to check out sets that have additional pieces. Here are some of the most common extras you can find.
● Universal Adapter: this will enable you to place any socket on the wrench
● Universal Joint: this piece allows you to angle the socket in various ways, which can help if you have to tighten bolts at odd angles
● Extension Wand: if you have to reach deep into an engine bay or something else, then you will need an extension so that the socket can reach it easily.
● Screwdriver Attachments: in some cases, you may be able to get a set of Philips and Flathead screwdriver pieces that fit into the socket.
● Additional Wrenches: sometimes a set may also have combination wrenches, or Allen wrenches included so that you are never without the right tool for the job.
Click here for Torque sticks or torque extension bar.
Best Socket Sets Review-Top Picks
1. 69 Pieces - EPAuto 1/4” & 3/8” Drive Socket Set with Pear Head Ratchet
- Durability: Made from Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V)
- Corrosion-Resistant: Chrome Plated & Mirror Polished
- Easy Storage: A sturdy plastic storage case is included.
- Both Metric and English sizes are included
According to Rudy Seiler: "Very nice and well organized socket set. I maintain a reasonably complete set of tools on my truck for emergency use and this set of sockets complete with the compact but durable case they came in fit nicely in the tool tray I have in my truck box. I used the set for the first time yesterday and found both the sockets and the ratchets to be of good quality. The only drawback I noticed was that the deep-well socket I was using was not cut to "Nut-size" all the way to the base of the socket. The socket is hollow all the way to the base allowing a bolt to enter the full socket length, but the nut to be worked on will only travel about a third of the way into the socket. This is not normally a problem, but I have had rare occasions where this issue would have been inconvenient. Having said that, FOR THE MONEY THIS IS A REALLY NICE AND COMPLETE SET OF SOCKETS WELL ORGANIZED IN A CONVENIENTLY COMPACT AND DURABLE CASE!"
John Beta: "Cheap deep sockets with a very well made case and they stay in their designated place. Sockets quality are excellent and shiny. Tools withstood oil spills, drops, gas spillage and it's still holding strong. Would highly recommend to anyone who need deep sockets set."
2. DEWALT DWMT72165 204 Piece- Best Mechanics Tool Set Review
Finishing us off is another set from the highly respected brand DeWalt. However, while the set above left a few things lacking, this one comes with more pieces than you could ever imagine. So, if you are looking for a complete set of fastening tools, this is by far the best kit you can buy.
As far as consumer tool companies go, Stanley is one of the more well known and respected in the industry. This brand is synonymous with heavy-duty tools and components that are built to last. In this case, the 69-piece socket set comes with everything you need, along with some extras thrown in for good measure.
As far as the sockets wrenches go, this kit has three ratchets of varying sizes, meaning that you can reach into any space with ease. They also all have 72 teeth and five degrees of arc swing, making them perfect for any tight spaces.
The sockets themselves are heavy duty and come in a variety of metric and imperial sizes and depths, so you never have to worry about not having the right one for the job. Each socket is stamped with the size on the side, and they have a knurled ring on the bottom for easier holding and handling.
In addition to the high-quality and socket set, you also get a full set of combination wrenches, Allen wrenches, and screwdriver bits. This makes the whole kit much more versatile than anything else we’ve seen, meaning that you may not have to buy any other tools on top of this.
3. Crescent CTK170CMP2 Mechanics Tool Set, 170-Piece
- Updated version of the best selling CTK170CMP, this new set has a new & sturdier blow mold case as well as new & improved Crescent screwdrivers
- Contains a carefully selected assortment of hand tools needed for most industrial, mechanical, and consumer applications
- Set includes 1/4 inches, 3/8 inches & 1/2 inches drive tools (SAE & Metric). Drive Type 6 and 12 Point.Drive Tang Size 1/4 inches, 3/8 inches, 1/2 inches
- Tools meet stringent new ANSI and ASME specifications and come with a full satisfaction guarantee
- All tools contained in a sturdy, folding plastic case for easy storage and transport. Durable
What's in the Box
- 1/4" Drive, 72-Tooth Quick-Release Ratchet
- 1/4" Drive, 3" Extension
- 1/4" Drive, 6-Pt. Sockets: 5/32", 3/16", 7/32", 1/4", 9/32", 5/16", 11/32", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 4, 5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 mm
- 3/8" Drive, 72-Tooth Quick-Release Ratchet
- 3/8" Drive, 3" Extension
- 3/8" Drive, 6" Extension
- 3/8" Drive, 3/8" (Female) to 1/4" (Male) Adapter
- 3/8" Drive, Spark Plug Sockets: 5/8", 13/16"
- 3/8" Drive, 12-Pt. Sockets: 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4", 7/8", 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 mm
- 3/8" Drive, 6-Pt. Deep Sockets: 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4", 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 mm
- 1/2" Drive, 72-Tooth Quick-Release Ratchet
- 1/2" Drive, 5" Extension
- 1/2" Drive, 12-Pt. Sockets: 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8", 15, 17, 18, 19, 21 mm
- Combination Wrenches: 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 mm
- Pliers: 8" Long Nose Cutting and 10" Tongue & Groove
- Wrench: 8" Adjustable
- Magnetic Screwdrivers: 1/4" x 4" Slotted, 3/16" x 3"
- Dura-Driver Magnetic Bit DriverSlotted, #2 x 4" Phillips, #1 x 3" Phillips
- 1" Driver Bits with Holders: Phillips, Slotted, Torx, and Hex
- SAE Hex Keys with Holder
- Metric Hex Keys with Holder
- Storage Case
Some Deep Thoughts
4. 40 Pieces - EPAuto 1/4-Inch & 3/8-Inch Drive Socket Set with Reversible Ratchet
- Durability: Made from Hardened treated Chrome Vanadium steel alloy (Cr-V)
- Corrosion-Resistant: Chrome Plated & Mirror Polished
- Easy Storage: A sturdy plastic organizing case is included.
- Both Metric and English sizes are included. 3/8" Reversible 72 Teeth Ratchet is included.
- Made in Taiwan
What's in the Box
Size: 40 Piece
Package includes:15 × SAE Inch Socket (1/4 inch Drive)
- 6 Point: 5/32“, 3/16”, 7/32“, 1/4”, 9/32”, 5/16”, 11/32”, 3/8”, 13/32”, 7/16”, 15/32”, 1/2”
- 8 Point: 1/4”, 5/16”, 3/8”
13 × Metric Socket (1/4 inch Drive)
- 6 Point: 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 mm
3 × SAE Inch Socket (3/8 inch Drive)
- 6 Point: 7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”
3 × Metric Socket (3/8 inch Drive)
- 6 Point: 11, 12, 13 mm
1 × 1/4 inch Drive Spinner Handle
1 × 3/8 inch Reversible Ratchet
1 × Spin disk
1 × 3/8 inch (M) x 1/4 inch (F) Adapter
1 × 3/8 inch Drive x 3 inch Extension Bar
1 × Molded Case
According to Schwab: "I was hesitated to order this set after negative feedback about the case, but actually the case turned out to be good if you just take care and open it the correct way, the first time I opened it, all the sockets fall out because it was flipped upside down! but actually I have another socket set that's really sticky and I don't like it for that specific reason, so just take care to lay it flat and everything will be good and stay in place, quality is good just finished my car brake job with it, can't complain about it with that price."
5. Hi-Spec 12pc 1/4" Metric Socket Set with 72 Teeth Ratchet Drive Socket Handle with Quick Release Function, 5-14mm Socket Sizes & 100mm Extension Bar with Convenient Storage Rack Multi-Socket
- METRIC SOCKET SET: The ideal kit for a host of tasks around the home and for DIY car maintenance with 72 teeth ratcheting drive handle, 10 Metric-sized sockets of the most-used sizes and 100mm extension bar for added reach when you need it. Clear measurements and easy to use, this set is designed for a range of users from home DIYer to automotive enthusiast
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE QUICK RELEASE RATCHET DRIVE HANDLE: Built with a push button ball bearing feature that allows for quick release and rapdi socket change so you can save on overall project time. An easy-to-use thumb operated reverse-switch mechanism allows for quick in direction of the ratcheting mechanism and the finely geared 72 teeth need only a 5-degree swing arc to turn hard to reach fasteners and get the exact tightness you are looking for
- SOCKET AND ACCESSORY SET: Contains most reached for 1/4" Metric Sockets (5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14mm sizes) for a wide range of tasks around the home and garage and a 100mm extension bar allows for maintenance in those hard to reach places including in and under vehicles. These 6-point sockets grip the flat sides of fastener heads, not corners, preventing round-off and allowing for a lifetime of use
- BUILT TO LAST: Ratchet dive handle & sockets are manufactured from high-grade chrome vanadium Cr-v Steel, heat treated, and plated with corrosion resistance chrome satin to withstand the toughest of working conditions, and won't rust if left out. Metric marking are clearly embossed so you grab the right socket every time. The lock-on button hold sockets securely in place while the over mold soft-grip handle provides maximum torque
- ROBUST REUSABLE STORAGE RACK: Keeps your sockets and ratchet handle secure, clean, organized, and easy to find when you need them. Never worry about damaged or misshapen tools again, this rack can hand securely in your garage or shed to be within reach and keep your work station clutter-free
What's in the Box
Size:1.Metric Socket Set-1/4''
1/4" Metric Socket Set with Extension Bar for Automotive and Mechanics Applications
- Rachet Handle: finely geared with 72 teeth for maximum torque and precise adjusting of nuts
- Most Used Socket Sizes: Socket set with most used socket sizes for an array of automotive and mechanical tasks around the home and garage including engine adjustment and repairs
- Extension Bar: 125mm Extension bar gets in those hard to reach places in and around cars
♦ 1/4" Drive Professional Ratcheting Socket Handle
- 72 Teeth for maximum torque
♦ 10 x 1/4" Drive 1/4" Metric Sockets
- 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 mm
♦ 100mm Extension Bar
- for getting to hard to reach places in around vehicles
♦ Durable and reusable storage rack
- for safe and convenient storage of tools
- Fulfilled By Amazon Free returns for items within 30 days of shipment receipt
- Hi-Spec Warranty: All our products meet international standards of testing and are guaranteed against defects in design, material and workmanship
According to Sean: "After learning the hard way that every car should have jumper cables in it, I kind of became what would be known as a "Car Prepper." I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of imaginary nowhere during an imaginary snowstorm and have my vehicle break down with my futuristic family inside and not have the one tool I needed to fix her up and save the day! So, I bought this compact automotive tool kit so I will always be prepared! I am very pleased with the purchase because the tools inside are decent quality, organized well, and cover a range of applications. I do feel safer and more prepared to save the day if the opportunity presents itself. A good buy for a decent price."
According to Kindle Customer: "Well made and a great starter kit for my pre-teen grandson's first tool kit. I purchased both the Metric and the US for him as he needs tools to work on his BMX bike. Kind of a coming of age present that I hope last for a few years. Well Made for the price. Keep in mind my 5 stars are based on my need and I am not comparing it to my husband's top of the line tools he has had 30+ years; a great first tool set for home projects and bikes; most likely would serve you for lite automotive work. Good value for the price."
6. Stanley 92-824 Black Chrome and Laser Etched 69-Piece Socket Set Review
The first thing that we like about this set is the fact that you get two ratchets. This way you can pick out the right one for the job, as one is smaller than the other, meaning that you can reach into tighter places with it. The bigger ratchet also comes with 60 teeth, while the smaller has 45. Both of them also have seven degrees of arc swing, which is perfect for most situations, even in tight spots.
The other cool thing that we like is the fact that each piece is covered in a black chrome finish. Not only does it make the pieces look better, but it will help reduce the risk of rusting over time, which is a nice bonus.
Other features of this socket set include a Max-Drive design on the ratchets that provide an extra 15% of torque while working. Also, each socket has six points, meaning that they have a tighter and more rugged grip. Finally, each socket is laser engraved with its size so that it’s easier than ever to find the one you need. Also, there are both shallow and deep sockets for your convenience.
Q. What makes a socket set one of the most versatile and reliable tools in a toolset? Why should you invest in one?
Ans: The socket set might appear small but its versatility and functionality are unmatched. Imagine you need to tighten a bolt in a small and tight space? Using the socket wrench makes it easy since it fits even in tiny spaces and has a strong grip. People who work with cars know that the socket wrench is easy to work with since they need to reach for small and tight spots on a regular basis.
Even those in the construction industry will attest that having a high-quality tool like the socket set makes work easy and effortless. It is a tool everyone involved in craftsmanship should have in their possession.
Q. How do I choose the best socket set or impact driver set for the right job?
Ans: Having understood the versatility and functionality of the socket wrench, it is time to make a purchase. The challenge, however, arises when deciding the socket set for the right job.
For starters, it is important to get the right tool for the right job. Also consider:
- The Ratchet tooth number- Having more teeth makes it versatile and functional
- The quick release mechanism function- For durability and reliability as it in use
- Six or twelve points- What gives you a strong grip from almost all directions
- Deep or shallow socket wrench- It all depends on the task at hand
- Can it work with other power tools such as the impact wrench
- Additional components for improved functionality such as screwdriver attachments
Q. What are some of the best and reputable socket set brands for socket/mechanic set in the market? What makes them stand out from the rest?
Ans: The Stanley 92-839 Black Chrome and Laser Etched Socket set is one of the best brands in the market. The 12-pound socket is designed to work with heavy-duty tools. It is built to last and comes with 69 pieces for improved functionality. Its black chrome finish reduces the risk of rusting and gives it a pleasant finish.
The DEWALT DWMT73804 Drive Socket is a decent toolkit that gets the work done with ease. It does not have deep sockets but comes with a single and high-quality ratchet that works in almost any work environment. It also comes with 30 different socket sizes that are marked to avoid confusion.
Top 3 Socket Set Brands Review
Based on the review above, here are some of the best sockets set brand manufacturers.
Stanley is a respected and well-known producer of consumer tools. Their brand is known for heavy-duty socket sets that last for long. Also, they are designed to withstand conditions such as rusting. They also have features that make them easy to work with such as six points for a strong grip and deep and shallow sockets for convenience.
Other common features associated with Stanley socket sets include a low profile, yet quick release function. Besides reducing potential accidents, it also helps the user get a strong grip. Also, you do not have to convert the measurements in your head since the socket sets are marked in metric and imperial measurements.
DEWALT has created a niche for itself in the consumer tools production. They have high-quality socket sets that work perfectly with other power tools. It is synonymous with power tools that durable and high-quality. Their socket sets are made of steel and have a chrome finish. The chrome finish gives it a new look and reduces the risk of rusting and extends its shelf-life. The sockets have imperial and metric measurements and no need to make conversions in your head. They also have a quick release function that makes it safe to use and increase its functionality.
EPAuto is a well-known brand of high-end consumer tools. Unlike the other brands, some EPAuto socket set does not come with ratchets. However, that does not have their functionality. Other features include socket sets in different depths and sizes. Each socket is stamped reducing the chance of confusing as one picks their desired fit.
The socket set is made of durable impact grade steel that promotes its longevity. It also comes with a heavy-duty carrying case. The sockets have radiused corners which makes them easy to handle and carry. You do not have to worry about rusting, thanks to the black chrome finish. Lastly, it comes with additional components that improve its versatility and functionality.
As we mentioned above, we have a soft spot for DeWalt brand products, and seeing as how the 204-piece set from the company comes with everything you could need and more, we feel like that is the best option for anyone who wants a full set of tools. However, if you’re not interested in getting a bunch of extra bells and whistles, then the Stanley 92-824 Set is our top pick. If all you need is a reliable set of sockets and ratchets, Stanley has you covered. Read more tools related guides & reviews here toolvee.
Last update on 2020-02-26 at 13:21 using Amazon Product Advertising API